Lifehack is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Paying for gas is one of the most costly parts of any car owner's life. The constant fill-ups will drain your wallet and can quickly add up if you do a lot of driving. In an attempt to help you save more on gas, a new app called GetUpside has emerged.
Is GetUpside a scam?
The short answer is no. GetUpside is not a scam, a pyramid scheme, or anything malicious. They are a District of Columbia (D.C.) startup that is trying to save you money on gas, groceries, and restaurants. The app has become very popular and was even featured in a local news network in the DC metro area.
The app has been downloaded thousands of times, and has maintained an average score of four and a half stars. It has become very popular among drivers and many people have come to rely on it as an extra source of income. It was even featured on a local news network in the DC metro area.
What is GetUpside?
GetUpside is an app that partners with local business to help consumers save money. Every time you make a purchase at a gas station, grocery store or restaurant you will have a chance to earn cash back.
GetUpside has partnered with all the big gas brand: Shell, Chevron, Valero, Exxon Mobil, BP, and many more. You can use the app to earn up to $0.25 per gallon on gas at over 5,000 gas stations in the United States. You can also save up to 35 percent at restaurants and 15 percent at grocery stores near you.
How does GetUpside work?
When you open the GetUpside app, you will be presented with a list and map of all local gas stations which offer a discount. You will be presented with both the regular price, as well as the discounted price. Notice that not all discounts are for the same amount.
Once you have found an offer you want to use, just follow these three easy steps to earn credit.
- Claim the offer—This is very important to remember. You must claim the offer BEFORE you make a purchase. Not after. If you claim it after you have made the purchase you will not be credited.
- Make a purchase—Make a purchase like you normally would using any credit or debit card. Feel free to combine it with other coupons, discounts, and loyalty programs!
- Submit your receipt—Once your purchase is complete simply open the GetUpside app and take a picture of your receipt. It will then be processed and you will be credit the correct amount in a few days.
So what's the catch?
There isn't a real "catch" with GetUpside. The only things I can think of is that the app is not available everywhere yet. Originally, they only operated in the DC metro area, but they have been expanding rapidly.
Even if it is not available in your area yet, just download the app and you will be notified when offers become available. It costs nothing to join, so you have nothing to lose.
How do you maximize savings?
Here are a few tips to get the most out of GetUpside.
- Use a promotion code—When you first join GetUpside, you will have a chance to earn an extra $0.20 per gallon. That means you have the ability to save $0.45 per gallon on your first few fill-ups. To get this bonuses either use a promotional link or enter this code: 2PVBC
- Claim the cheapest offer—This is an obvious one, but people often make the mistake of choosing the offer with the biggest savings, not the offer with the lowest price. Always look at the final price and not the total savings.
- Use a cash back card—Since GetUpside allows you to pay with any credit card you want, you can maximize your savings by using a cash back credit card.
- Use a loyalty program—Many gas stations offer loyalty programs that can save you an extra few cents per gallon. Every gas station chain has its own program (e.g. Shell Fuel Rewards), so find the one that works best for you.